LooseCrew-JeffO: Training Graph

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Monday, May 21, 2007

Training Graph



Here's the graph from my Excel worksheet. The jagged line illustrates my hard and easy weeks. You can see early in the year how much I lost from my stress fracture and how much I had to ramp-up.

Lon Freeman (interview by Scott Dunlap) runs 25-30 miles during weekdays and 25-50 miles on weekends.
So minimum of 50 miles and max of 80 totals for each week.
Wow, that's a lot of miles to regularly put on your body. I don't know if I can do sustained mileage of 50-80 per week, every week, without injury, plus biking and swimming. Maybe next year. This year I'm just struggling to get the required training in time for Leadville without breaking.

After my hundred mile week, my legs are swollen. Normally, when I lay on my back and put my heel up on a chair, my relaxed calf muscle can be flopped back and forth like the H.S. lunch-lady's arm flab. It might be pure muscle, but if it's properly relaxed it should flop around as well as a blob of fat. But right now it's so swelled with fluids that it's like poking a solid chunk of carbon-rubber. There's no pain, but they feel pumped. I iced them last night, but I can't tell the difference. I elevated them, lowered, elevated, lowered to exchange fluids.
Massage is a waste of time right now. The muscles are so totally pumped I can't get any kneeding action going. Like trying to kneed a chunk of wood!
I guess since it's not hurtin', it's not bad. There's a lot of recovery work that my body needs to perform. It's going to take lots of fluid. I just need to keep the fluid moving. Stagnation would be a very bad thing. That's why I have to walk it off each day and keep trying to massage.

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, your calves sound nasty. Stepped on a scale yet? I bet you are retaining fluid like a mo-fo right now.

I kind of wish I were built upon a bigger frame so I could carry more shit around. That Solomon pack looks sweet, and it's super-lite, but if I put a bunch of shit in it, I wouldn't be able to run fast. At all.

I hope recovery continues to go well for you!
Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger JeffO said...

The Revo is 3 oz heavier than the plain hydration-only Camelbak. Here's a great link to compare weights:
http://www.runningfree.com/gear_backpacks.htm
This pack is too much for most races and most stretches, but it fills a gap for longer stretches where I'm more than an hour between aid and the weather is dicy and for Winter/Spring.
When in doubt, take more! I have a friend who literally feared for his life on Hope Pass last year during the LT100 when a storm blew in. The friend's pacer bailed him out with loaned gear. I intend to be prepared.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home