LooseCrew-JeffO: Gushing sky

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Gushing sky

Uh-oh, I might have to abandon this blog...BugBash.
________________________


Last night was fun. It was REAL fun.
I ran 4x's around Wash Park. I was NOT bored! Wow, my heart was going pitter-patter at the "scenery".


Also, I saw an Ethiopian guy - real tall - running like a banshee, and sweating in spite of the cool temps. He didn't look familiar at all. I've seen photos of several African runners in magazines, but this guy wasn't someone I've seen.

The fun part was the rain. At the beginning of the run, it was partly cloudy and I even had some sun on me. Then the clouds closed in. Then they got dark. Then it got windy. Then ice-cold micro down-drafts would slam down at various spots in and around the park. Dust clouds swirled and blew.
Some people seemed oblivious. The clouds above were not threatening rain, even though some sparse droplets escaped. In the distance to the west, though, there was a greenish-gray wall. Green means hail.
I meant to run 5x's around the park, but I decided to escape. Even my thick Czech/Irish/German skull isn't thick enough to ward off hail, if it gets too big.
To the south was bright light from a hole in the weather. I kept thinking the line from Poltergeist, "Run to the light! Run to the light!"
When I was a mile from home, the rain started. That was okay because I'm amphibious. I had hoped to make it to the nearest business - Starbucks - before the hail started, but I didn't. It was smaller than peas, but I feared it would get bigger. And lightening was striking all around. The rain came down so intensely that in two minutes everything was flooded. I've only seen rain that hard about three times in my life. Some college guys were on their front porch and asked me if I wanted to wait it out on their porch. I accepted since Starbucks was still over a block away. They gave me a beer. I waited for the hail to stop, but the rain was still coming down in dump-truck loads as I ran.
Flooding was very bad. I guess a kid north of Denver got swept away. It was raining so hard in Denver it's hard to imagine any worse, but I guess it was.
But for me, it was fun running through the gushing sky and flooding sidewalks and streets. People in cars were pointing at me and I was laughing. I was a kid again.
All boys need to be happy is to have sticks, mud, and puddles.
_____________

I'm 7 tenths of a mile short of my needed average for 100 miles. Not a big deal.

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

As a kid, I used to love playing in the puddles and gutters after rainstorms. I used to put sticks in the gutter and have them race to the corner. It WAS fun!

Good luck on your 100 mile week. That is a LOT of running. It sounds like you're doing well so far. Keep making it fun and you'll handle it no problem.

 
At 1:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowowow, sounds intense. Lightening scares me sooooo much.

Nice job so far on the 100 mile week. How are you feeling?

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hi Kevin,

Work has been busy, and i run all evening, so keeping my blog up during this week isn't easy. It is fun, though! My endorphin level is through the roof.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hi Meghan,

Yep lightening is spooky. The thunder rumbled non-stop for about 20 minutes! Totally non-stop. Is that bizarre or what? I kept thinking that couldn't be thunder. Thunder can't go un unceasingly. It was almost like a freight-train (no tornados were reported).

I get tweaked each evening, and my body is healed and ready for more the next day. It's like I'm Spiderman and I heal overnight.

Still, I'm totally stressing this body to the max. So far, it's giving me everything I ask for.

Good luck in the wilderness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home