LooseCrew-JeffO: Eat! Eat!

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Eat! Eat!

Like my Czech mom and grandmom would say, "Eat! Eat!" I talked with Tania P. last night. She weighs 30% less than me and consumed about 4x's as many calories as me. She won 1st-place female. So that kind of confirms what I did wrong.
But she said I shouldn't have runs farther than 50M before Leadville. That goes against all the other advice I've had.
It doesn't get easy. There's so many training styles. I don't have the experience, so I rely on the experience of others. Her advice: Find one more 50M before the end of June.
That would mean I'm really running out of training time fast. She also said not to do my planned 30-hour walk around Wash. Park.
I hate to change plans this late. I'll have to re-consult with all my other "coaches".


If anyone out there has advice, please fire away.

"Taper" will require a diminishing of distances I run as I draw closer to the LT100, starting somewhere 30-40 days before the race. All the training experts seem to agree that "intensity" (speed and heart-rate) should not be diminished during taper. In fact, some increase in intensity can help (some rare experts say increasing intensity at all can lead to injury). Generally, it's the amount of running, not the quality that needs to taper.

My Plan - question marks are unorganized activities not set in stone
? May 15-21 - 100-mile week
May 25-28 - trip to Wichita for parents' 50th anniv.
Sun, June 3 - Steamboat Springs Marathon
? Sat/Sun, June 9/10 - 30-hour-walk-in-the-park
Sat, June 16 - Mt. Evans Ascent

Sun, June 17 - Estes Park Marathon
? Sat/Sun, June 23/24 - Either of the following...
..a) attack the LT100 course (snow will still be on Hope Pass)
....Sat - from Leadville, run to fish hatchery & back - 47M - start @ 4am
....Sun - from Twin Lakes, run to Winfield and back - 21M - start @ 11:15am
....Extra-credit - run a couple miles further up the trail (Mt. Elbert) before returning to my car - +4M
..b) climb five 14ers with Paul G
Sat, June 30, July 1-2 LT100 Bootcamp (optional)
Sat, July 7 - Leadville Marathon
Fri, July 13 - Hard Rock 100 pacing (Paul G)
Sat, July 21 - Golden Gate Canyon Trail Run, 12.7M
Sun, July 22 - Oh-Be-Joyful!, 12.5M 7am, Horse Ranch Park west of Crested Butte
? ~ ethereal training space ~ July 28/29, Aug. 4/5, Aug 11/12
August 18-19 - Leadville Trail 100 (mandatory stuff Fri, Aug 17)

2 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JeffO,

There's so much in this post! I haven't run anything over 50 miles, so my experience is non-existent for the 100 mile distance.

The most important things that occur to me:

1) Race specific training. You're running a high elevation long distance race. Train long distances at high elevation.

2) Recovery. New research is coming out regarding hard long distance efforts. It seems, 6 weeks is an optimal amount of recovery time seperating hard long distance efforts. "Hard long distance efforts" is quite a subjective phrase, but it implies long race pace training runs, longer races, or efforts which induce complete muscle fatigue through eccentric movement.

3) Run miles. Some people say run 1 very long run on a weekend. Others say run back-to-back long runs on Saturday and Sunday. Some say run over 50 miles in training (like a 100k event). Others say not to. It's hard to know what to do if you haven't trained and raced the distance before. Last weekend was the Miwok 100k, and lots of Western States folks ran it as training. I doubt they will do anything longer than that in the 6 weeks (I believe?) between now and Western States. I'd say go with your gut here, and do what feels right. Feeling mentally prepared is as important as feeling physically prepared in my opinion, and if sticking to what feels right to you fosters that, then go for it. I would probably air on the side of caution since it is your first time at this distance. It would suck to acquire an overuse injury or to arrive overtrained to the starting line.

4) Train at race pace. Your body has got to know race pace inside out, be acclimated to it completely.

5) Do speed workouts. Stuff that puts you right at or just above your lactate threshold is the most useful for long distance runners. Over time, it will increase this threshold and allow you to sustain a faster pace for a longer amount of time. Also, inject fast turnover stuff, just a little bit of it, weekly. Whether its 100m strides or a short 400m workout, this stuff increases running economy, which translates to more efficient running at all speeds. I'd also say not to do speed on the track, if you can help it. Running ovals increases the opportunity for injury by lots if you're not acclimated to it. Get 'er done on marked bike paths or measured lengths of dirt roads.

Eh, I guess I've rambled enough. Good luck tinkering with your schedule!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clarifying a bit:

With reference to race specific training, train on terrain that mimics your race course terrain also.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home