LooseCrew-JeffO: Too close to home

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Friday, May 18, 2007

Too close to home

I somehow don't seem to escape constant close reminders of our mortality. My dentist's son died yesterday.

I've never been close to a dentist before, but this one is different. He is the best guy and genuinely cares about everyone.
His receptionist's husband is a triathlete, so we swap stories.
His hygienist is a gabby and entertaining woman.
John Sr. always asks about my training and races.


When I was in college (yes they had college in those days), I was on the trunk of my friend's Nova when he floored the gas pedal. I, of course, didn't accelerate and dropped like a rock to the pavement. My tailbone broke. My first marathon would have been a week later. Instead, I had to play spectator.

Wednesday, as I ran past South High's parking lot, there was a girl sitting on the door sill of a car that was speeding around the parking lot. I thought how totally stupid and unnecessarily dangerous that was.

The folly of youth. Too often the physics never dawns on us. We can only hope we learn before we die.
I guess John Jr. won't get the opportunity to learn. Maybe his classmates will learn from his death.

That's two parents I know in one month who've lost a child.
I thank the Powers above that I still have my son, but these are too close to home, too close together. It has definitely put a damper on my usual behavior. I've worked hard to overcome a negative and depressed attitude in my past. This is difficult. I guess sooner or later I will get hit directly, not obliquely. So these events might be preparing me for what's coming. If Karma rules, and things really do happen for a reason, then I fear what the "reason" for all this might be.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JeffO,

I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. It's awful, just awful. Thinking of you and your friends.

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

PS. I just read your comment about your 100 mile week going well. I'm happy to hear that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home