LooseCrew-JeffO: Prep for the Moab 100

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Prep for the Moab 100

I actually have done some homework!
I'm so tired of being too busy to prepare for races, especially races I've never done before.
I did do the Moab 100 last year, and DNF'd at 86 miles. The next day, I ran 7 miles. I never forgave myself for that. Last year's Moab 100 could have (and should have) been my first complete 100.
This year, I plan to do better at consuming the max theoretical absorption quantities of fluids from the time the race starts until an hour after sundown. My theory is that I always get behind on fluids during the sunny hours, and even though I never get critically dehydrated, getting behind on anything during a 100 will make you pay for it later.
I won't be as totally prep'd the way I was at the Boulder 100, but I will be better prep'd than I was last year at the Moab 100.
Like I did at Boulder, I have my 1-gallon bags with my calories, fish-oil, calcium, vitamin C, electrolyte capsules, gelpaks, Dark Chocolate peanut M&M's, etc. It's just that I don't have enough bags for all the laps.
I can't remember how many laps there are.
I don't know exactly how far each lap is.
Last year, I used the info from the website, but the website hadn't been updated for the new course. There is WAY MORE climbing per lap than I had been mentally prepared for. Now I know. There's approximately 11,268ft of climbing. The LT100 has "roughly" 14,000ft of climbing, so the Moab 100 is significantly harder than Boulder, but the lower altitude means it's easier on some people.
Being used to high altitude, running at lower altitudes has not produced any benefits to me.
Overall, the Moab 100 ought to be approximately midway in difficulty between Boulder and Leadville. So I can extrapolate and insist that if I hope to finish Leadville this year, I need to finish Moab in under 27 hours.
So there's my goal. I've gotten extremely little training. I'm not in good shape. I have managed to take off a couple of those extra pounds I packed on after the Bandera 100K, so I'm not feeling "fat", but I still jiggle a little.

3 Comments:

At 8:39 PM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

Good luck!

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Shad Mika said...

You will do great! I want to give this one a shot someday so let us know how it goes. Good luck.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Go get 'em, Jeff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home