LooseCrew-JeffO: Exercise

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Exercise

Tell me again - why am I exercising?

I've been trying to get faster at long distance. This can be achieved by doing two things - increase strength/conditioning, decrease weight (so that I don't need as many calories to move).
I know by watching my weight fairly stagnate while my waist shrinks that my percentage-of-body-fat is shrinking. I'm leaner. Like the article above states, if you're leaner, the RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) is higher. Another way of saying this is that it takes more calories to maintain muscle than fat. You have two 180lbs. guys - one is 40% fat and the other is 10% fat - they eat exactly the same quantities of the same stuff and have the same exercise - the 40% guy will get fatter and the 10% guy will not.
I don't feel any different than I did a year ago. There are times I feel like I'm making no progress, but I must be. If I'm leaner, then no matter how slowly, the results will end up making me faster.
I still have 2-3 years of competitiveness left to me. Meaning that I can still increase my athletic performance in spite of the fact that I'm getting older. I'm racing time. How's that for a healthy mid-life crisis?


This weekend's training will be around Turquoise Lake west of Leadville.

My LT100 crew meeting is tonight after the DTR run

1 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh happiness for high metabolisms! I'm sure that Dairy Queen I ate today is long gone already. :)

Thanks for the foot healing vibes on my blog. Seriously, they worked, and my foot is like new. I'm so happy.

You had a great training weekend last weekend out on the race course. I wouldn't be too concerned about your pace deviations during the course of your training run. It's most important, I think, that your overall time hit within 6 minutes of your goal race pace. When you're feeling good and bad (and thus when you're moving faster and slower) is going to vary during each training run and race, you know?

I'm getting so excited for you to do this race, because I think you're going to nail it!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home