LooseCrew-JeffO: One month to go

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

One month to go

I got another massage today. It's the first time Lucy has been able to give me a massage without my legs feeling like two chunks of wood.

Even though HR100 pacing was easy on my heart, lungs, and big muscles, the little muscles I use in my ankles and hips for stability were tired. Also, my knees were stressed.

I ran last night at Wash Park. It was an easy run, but I did get in a mile of tempo.
___________________

It's too bad the course doesn't afford spectators much opportunity. It's nearly all on public lands. The roads aren't closed to the public. So you have 600 runners, plus for each runner you have 0-8 crew/pacers (guess 4 average), plus aid station volunteers, plus course officials, plus emergency personnel, plus tourists/hikers/fishermen. So many thousands of people will inundate the region.

I have friends asking how they can help, but I already have my crew and the best way friends and family can help is to stay out of the way. It sounds harsh and ungrateful, but I don't know what to say. Hotel/motel rooms in the region are all booked-up. In fact, If you wait until January before the race, you probably waited too long. Many rooms book for the next year's race immediately after the race. So where are my friends and family going to stay?
I don't know if LT100 is going to have live stats like HR100. Probably not. But it would be nice, because that's the only practical way to spectate the LT100.

Another factor is that I won't be a pretty sight and may not be in a "favorable" mood. This is new territory for me. I've heard stories about hallucinations, I've seen guys with drooling stalagtites hanging off their chins, and stuff like that. It's bad enough that my crew will see me, but they're all seasoned ultrarunners or LT100 veterans, so they know what to expect.

1 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, mind that drool stalagtite, okay? That's some hilarious imagery!

Wow, I cannot believe how crazy busy that course is going to be! I never knew.

Ahh, massages. Hope it was good for you!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home