LooseCrew-JeffO: LM recap

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Monday, July 09, 2007

LM recap

Leadville Marathon accumulated elevation = 5976 total, all above 10,150 feet

My rib cage muscles were freaking out after the race. I ate 5 e-caps during the race but my legs were twitching the last few miles - thought I might have a full-scale cramp, but lucked-out.
I passed into 44th place two miles from the finish, but he rallied and I couldn't hold him off - he re-took 44th place two blocks from the finish.

Concerning my wallet in my pocket the whole race... What can I do but laugh? Hey, maybe there might have been a Starbucks on Mosquito Pass? How was I to know? I coulda had a latte! Everyone else woulda-bean begging me for a coupla bucks!

Except for the wallet, it was the perfect race. I had my aid-station splits written down on my wrist. At the first station, I was worried because I'd warmed up before the race and still only managed to be 30 seconds ahead of last year.
Then five thoughtless runners were standing elbow-to-elbow blocking the aid table talking and eating/drinking and no one else could get anything. I had to run the wrong way around and get aid from the volunteer side of the table. But every station after that I gained a minute or more.

I hadn't realized that our bib #'s were our places last year. So my bib said #57. As I came down off Mosquito Pass, a guy cheered me on saying I was doing a lot better than 57th place this year. That's when I figured it out. So next year my bib will be #45.

In spite of pushing until I was about to drop dead, I still sprinted across the finish.
Merilee said, "Jeff, was that totally necessary?!"
I said, "Yes - it's my signature."
So there it is - I need to finish Leadville and no matter how wasted I am, I need to sprint across the finish line.

As I was following my friend Dave B the last mile, lightening struck about a block away. The bolt and the boom were simultaneous. I don't know if I actually felt the concussion, or if the flash-boom just scared the be-geez outa me.
We were soaked and little pellets of frozen rain were mixed in. So we got a free shower!

Still waiting for the results to get posted.

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big day for you, JeffO!

Not quite the 5-7 minutes better than last year... just about 2 x 5-7 minutes better! Good grief, nice job!

That lightning story sounds really scary. Glad you were okay.

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home