LooseCrew-JeffO: South Table Mountain

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Friday, March 09, 2007

South Table Mountain

Last night was 7.5 miles @ South Table Mountain. It was only me and Scott F., in the 5:30 group. There were about 20 others in the 6:15 group.

I was very sluggish, and snorting and hacking the whole way because the smog has been bad this week. Even in somewhat clean air, it takes three days for my sinuses and throat to clear up.
My quads were hurting. I can't believe how badly I got out of shape during the months my foot was healing.

My left ankle is better than it was a week ago. My right arch is better if I wear my 3/4-length arch&heel shoe inserts.
I have some full-length arch support inserts, but they gave me blisters doing just 5 miles around Wash. Park. So I'm wearing those in my work shoes until my feet are used to them. Then maybe I can run in them. But even the one time I ran in them, I could feel the sharp pain in the front of my arch, so not sure they'll do any good. I think thye're no good by themselves. If I stack the stock shoe inserts on top of the orthotics, they seem to work much better.
I don't know why the 3/4-length inserts work so well. I think it's a combination of inserts and shoes. Since I have about 12 pairs of running shoes, it'll take me awhile to figure out which combinations work for me. Right now, the 3/4 inserts and my Mizuno trail runners are working perfectly.

Tania P. told me to roll a tennis ball under the arch of my foot. I don't have one, but I'm using a paint roller instead, and I think that's better. That stretches and massages at the same time.

Since I come from a family of engineers, and I've been making my own outdoor gear for years, I think I'll try to make my own plantar stretcher sock for sleeping in. But if this project doesn't happen soon and quick, I'll just buy one. This isn't something I can afford to leave on a back-burner.

1 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!

We have a Table Mountain here, too! Yours looks a little different! :)

Take of thine own foot!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home