LooseCrew-JeffO: Feeling Old

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Feeling Old

Last night, I decided to do a totally easy distance run. So I filled a Camelbak with sport drink, grabbed two trailbars, filled a pocket with pretzels, and took off.
Then I realized Heroes is on TV @8pm. I practically never watch TV, but I do enjoy Heroes because it's dumb (if you haven't figured it out, I like dumb things).

So I decided to turn around in time. That turned it into a 12.7 mile run.
At mile 10, I realized I was averaging less than 10min/mile. I wasn't supposed to concern myself with time, but I thought 10m/mile was history. I ran Rim Rock @ 8:34, and Goblin Valley @ 9:13, so I should've been able to saunter through 12.7 miles of virtually flat pavement at no worse. So the last 2.7 miles, I kicked it up to finish at exactly 10min/mile.
Then I walked around the block to warm-down. A passing motorist stopped and yelled, "Hey, you're walking when you're supposed to be running!" I turned around in time to see that, although she'd stopped at a stop sign, she was looking at me instead of traffic and a car had to put on the brakes and hit the horn 'cause she drove in front of them.
I don't know if she was trying to be funny - she didn't sound like it - or thought she was everyone's personal-trainer. I just thought she was stupid. (I like dumb things, not stupid things.)

Last summer, I was doing a long run in town. Like last night, I ran to Wash. Park, through Wash. Park, until I reached Cherry Creek, then headed upstream for miles before turning around. You're supposed to train how you expect to race. Last night, I ate two trailbars and pretzels without stopping or walking. So I'm decked-out for distance. So last summer, this guy ridicules me because, "You don't need all that for Wash. Park!" WTF! MYOB! Have a clue that you're clueless! Some people's attitudes really stick in my craw. They make snap judgements, which would be okay if they'd keep their mouths shut.
Now you know another reason I like long mountain trail runs. I don't have to put up with people like that.

After last nights run, I was totally beat. A few weeks ago I ran 20 miles on Green Mountain with no real problems. Then 12.7 easy miles wrecked me. My thighs were sore before the run, but really sore after. My left ankle is barely better than it was late Thursday.
My right plantar fascii, where it attaches to the ball of the foot, has been bothering me since July. I've been stretching and massaging that a lot lately. When I try to research it, all I get is planter injuries at the heal, not the ball of the foot. So I guess my specific symptoms are rare (lucky me).
The pain is tolerable, but I feel compelled to scuttle some of my race plans. I need to concentrate on Salida Marathon, Greenland 50K, Collegiate Peaks 50M, and the Leadville Trail 100. None of the other races are particularly critical, and it would save me some money.

I slept exactly 8 hours. I practically never sleep that long. Felt good.

4 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Hey Jeff,

I can totally relate to what you said about people heckling you that have absolutely no concept of what you're doing. It is really annoying.

Up until 5 years ago when we moved to the area where we currently live, I did most of my running in the small town where I grew up. Do you have any idea how many times I heard, "Run Forrest run!" as I was running through town? I used to just shake my head, chuckle, and think, "How original a**hole. I've never heard that one before." It's funny how they would always wait until I was past them and safely far away before they would yell anything. Talk about no balls. I used to think, "Why don't you get out here and run with me for a mile or two? Then, if you have even the slightest bit of wind or energy left, you can heckle me all you want." Many times, people like to make themselves feel better about being a worthless lump on the sofa so they do it by trying to bring people like us down. It doesn't work. It just makes them look like a jacka**.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JeffO,

Howdy! Sometimes I think that I'm the social misfit, but then I hear these types of stories that make me think that I'm rather low on the misfit scale in comparision. :)

Sorry you've got things that hurt you. I had the fasciitis issue going for a while (heel rather than the ball of my foot, though). I'll swear up and down on the support sock thing for sleeping. I still put it on once in a while when the fascia feels stiff. It took about a month of wearing that annoying thing at night before there wasn't any discomfort. Fortunately for me, the issue was never severe enough to have to take time off.

Good luck with it all! Screw the judgemental peeps!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hey Meghan,

You mean the Strassburg Sock?
I'll have to find one of those.
Even if my problem isn't exactly plantar facsiitis, I'll bet it's close enough that the remedy is the same.

Thanks for the tip.

Happy running in Yellowstone. And please don't become bear food. I'd be so paranoid to run up there. Bison, wolf packs, and scalding holes in the ground,... tourists!

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JeffO,

Actually, I have this: http://www.amazon.com/Thermoskin-Plantar-Fasciitis-Beige-Small/dp/B000FJLTJM/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3536979-8954229?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1173427463&sr=8-1. I like it 'cuz its adjustable. You can ease your way into wearing this thing at night. I found if I cranked it tight and left my foot really flexed from the get-go, I'd wake up ripping it off. Over the course of a few nights of adjustment, I could gradually go for a more and more flexed position. Anyhoo, this is my three cents or so. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home