LooseCrew-JeffO: G&T

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, August 31, 2008

G&T

No, G&T doesn't stand for gin and tonic - it means Grays and Torreys. These two fourteeners have been a 1-3 time per year training run for me. It's 14 miles and 5050 feet of climbing.
I tried, but honestly it was more like a 95% effort. It showed. My PR is 3:56, but today I did it in 4:02. Six minutes isn't much, but I was more interested in a steady performance and then, because my memory was working unusually well today, I remembered my times at certain landmarks. Now they're written down. The next time I'll know exactly how I'm doing and how much harder I need to push to save more time off.
It was still a great workout. When I was done, my endorphins were pumping in overdrive. What an awesome feeling.
I think a PR would have been possible even at this effort. I thought I'd need more fluids. I brought a 20oz Ultimate direction bottle that I never used. That's a lot of weight to carry for that far and that much climbing. It had to slow me down.

It rained and thundered, but it was mostly a warm rain and it felt good.

I freak people out up there. I catch a lot of comments from people who are struggling to hike their first fourteener from the trailhead at treeline and only going six miles to one summit and back. To them, I'm a freak of nature, parking all the way down at I-70 and running up the road. That effectively doubles the mileage if you climb both peaks.
On the way back, I expected to get passed, but instead I passed a Jeep and an Explorer.
It was a fun day and a good way to bleed-off some frustrations.

6 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

Likewise, you can just imagine the freak comments I got when doing this in my PPM training. 1:32 from I-70 to Grays summit, 17 over to Torreys, 59 back down.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

2:49 total!!! You freakin' speed-monkey sonuvabee-atch! That does it - next time I won't wear socks. I'm sure the extra weight of my socks had slow me down at least an hour! Then we'll see who's king of the mountains!

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Hah look at this speed battle happening. Maybe if you hadn't had that burger and milkshake (and the burger the previous day if I recall) last weekend you could wear socks and still run fast! Hah!

So glad to meet you and your son the other weekend. It was a bit of a harried day running around there in Buena Vista, but it was so nice to spend a little time getting to know you. Thanks for going out of your way to meet us for lunch!

Meghan

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

http://door5.com/2008/09/01/utmb-2008-cest-bon/

Tour du Mont Blanc race report. Put this on your calendar for next year.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS244US244&q=havasu%20falls&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

I also meant to send you pics of Havasu Falls above. 20 mile round trip run to Havasu Falls (another 2 rounnd trip to add on Mooney Falls). One of the prettiest places in the US, could easily be added into your R2R2R trip.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Olga said...

Re: R2R2R. A group of quite a few are going on the weekend of Oct 18. Is it something you consider?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home