LooseCrew-JeffO: 2009 LT100


Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, August 17, 2008

2009 LT100

Last year's problems:
1. Poor sleep the weeks before and no sleep the night before.
2. Injured my ankle on Sugarloaf coming down Powerline road.
3. All aid station trasnit times sucked!
4. My left knee was going out after Halfmoon (69.5M)

This year, I slept well. Even the night before the race, I was parked in the forest uphill from Leadville somewhere amongst mines and got a good 7 hours of sleep.

I managed to sprain my left ankle twice (same one I sprained at Estes Park), but neither was a factor.
My aid station times were decent. Most could've been better, but some of my aid stations times were only a few minutes. My longest times were when I was being helped.
I had several sharp pains on the sides of my knees, and it felt like I had shin-splints. How do you get shin-splints running mountainous trails?

The weather wasn't totally bad all the time, but it was bad enough. It rained, it hailed, it snowed. I don't know what made it harder - the extra weight of cold/wet gear or all the slipping and straining during injury-avoidance. It was hard. Roughly 2/3 of the starters DNF'd. I saw three different guys limping to the next aid station to DNF. One was on his elbows and knees yelling, both in pain and frustration.
I decided to be safe and stick to a 28-hour plan. That plan had some minor flaws, but I've edited for next year.
I was doing pretty good, until after Fish Hatchery (76.5M). That's when a situation developed. So very sorry, but this event will have to remain a mystery to my readers. Suffice it to say that my event was "altered" and there wasn't anything I could do about it. This event robbed me of at least 45 minutes and involved an extra .86M of decent/climbing on the worst parts of Powerline Road.
It was raining and cold and dark, but I was determined that even if my LT100 was trashed, I was going to go as far as legally possible. Since I had checked out of Fish Hatchery, it was legal for me to go to Mayqueen, even if I arrived very late. So that's what I did.
This was very heartbreaking to me, but shit happens and I'm not going to cry over spilt milk.
The official DNF distance was 86.5, but after adding the back-tracking, I actually went 87.4M. That is a distance record for me.
Unlike other DNF's that sting from failure, this one had nothing to do with me giving up.
So on that note, in spite of things not turning out anything like I had planned, it was still very fun.

I had the usual serious pulmonary edema. My legs were strong, but I couldn't get any oxygen to them. I collapsed in coughing fits a few times.
One weird thing happened up on Sugarlaof. It sounded like a woman who was barely alive trying to say, "Help," but it was so weak. I was shining my flashlight into the trees but saw no one. I heard it three times, but with one deaf ear, I can't hear in stereo and it difficult to figure out where sounds are coming from. Then I realized the sound was coming from the weeze in my windpipe.

Right now, the thing that hurts the most, believve it or not, is my left eye. It never bothered me in the race, but I woke up from my post-race nap and I could barely use my left eye. It feels much better to keep my eyelid closed. I've got some anitbiotic eye drops. I hope that helps.


At 8:31 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

Jeff, sorry didn't go better. Shit happens huh? How does this change your race plans? Time for a break or will you press on?

At 9:45 PM, Blogger Talon said...

I'm so sorry Jeff! Damn! I just KNEW this was the year. Just remember next year I'm available to crew for you! And I MIGHT be able to pace during a slow stretch for you. In any event I was sending you good thoughts. As if Leadville wasn't hard enough, that weather bites big time even for a short run. You did AWESOME though. I'm proud of you man!

At 11:04 AM, Blogger olga said...

Oh, JeffO...what a drag! I bet I am guessing what your detours were, but in either case - way to stick with it until timed out. That what I did at LT - I was picked by the sweeps:) How about you pick something that doesn't give you pulmonary edema? That was one nasty shit when I had it!

At 9:59 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Justin - Shit does indeed happen. This pill is huge and going down sideways. Really hard to swallow. I was so capable and made only a couple of minor mistakes.

Olga - I didn't get lost. I know the course prefectly, even in the dark. Home-field advantage!
Nope, I didn't quit, didn't screw up, didn't falter.
Shit happens.

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Dan-o said...

Jeff, Great job. I missed the 60.5 timecut at Twin Lakes by 5 minutes. I had no energy going back up over Hope. I lost some time at Winfield with intestinal issue. My legs felt good until the 2nd climb up Hope. I guesss I just did not eat enough calories.
Maybe next year.......

Dan B.

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Meghan said...

Dude! Crap! I'm so sorry to read this! Just plain sucks, JeffO.

I hope you're not beating yourself up for this. Slowly but surely you're creeping your longest distance run up there. Sooooooooo close are you.

Thinking of you and hoping your recovery will be going along smoothly by now.

You going up into the mountains at all over the next two weekends? I'll be up there for TransRockies, arriving Sunday in Buena Vista and finishing Friday at Beaver Creek. Send me an email if you're going to be up there at all. :)



Post a Comment

<< Home