LooseCrew-JeffO: SJS50 part 1

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, June 22, 2008

SJS50 part 1

This was a very fun and unique experience! I think I'm hooked!
It's going to take me a while to sort through my photos and video clips, but my body needs some TLC, so maybe I'll have the time.

The drive down was much quicker than I thought it would be. It was only 4 1/2 hours from Denver. My job has been beyond hectic it's been frantic. In order to avoid working weekends, I've been having to work late every day. But my boss's boss doesn't like paying overtime, so I left early Friday. Ha! I love my job. It's frustrating, constant overload. Perfect for me! I get bored too easy. If I gravitated towards "easy", I wouldn't run ultras.

The pasta-feed was the best! The owner of the Alpine Moose Lodge where I stayed is a very good chef. He catered the dinner. So it wasn't your ordinary "spaghetti". The rolls weren't the usual tasteless white bread.

I dropped off my drop-bags afterwards. I took full advantage of all three drop locations. It takes a bit of experience to get drop-bags right. I'm still learning.
I was told to have socks and shoes at the first drop. You gotta be kidding me! Folks, the concept of dry feet in this race, especially this year, is a fantasy.
Besides, I'm not a fan of shoe changes. I wear Salomons with quick-laces, and I still think it takes too long. And Salomons are the most breathable shoe you can find. Better to pick a shoe that dries out quick.
But there wasn't much drying out this year. There were at least 10 crossings, plus uncountable melting snow run-offs, snow slush, and my favorite, MUD! There was so much mud that dirt found its way inside my DirtyGirl gaiters, inside my Wright sox, and even inside my Injinjis.

The logistics of this race are harder than most. I think only the Moab Red Hot 50k+ is more difficult. But they pulled it off so well. Mostly this is because they have TONS of help. I'm not sure how much is paid for and how much is volunteer, but there were lots of very experienced mountaineers and SAR crew. Payment for most services was waived due to the substantial influx of visitors and the money they bring to the area.

The weather was PERFECT! Not hot, not cold, not overly windy, no threat of rain or lightening. But of course, at those altitudes, with no protection, the sun scorches.

My perfomance was very mediocre, but as they say in ultras, "a finish is a finish"! And it was FUN!!!

More to come...

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

Glad to hear that the shoe/sock changes paid off! I'm still looking for full results to see how my predictions came in. I know:

1 - McDowell
2 - Tiernan
4 - Skurka

Skurka was a late entrant, so didn't make my prediction. Otherwise, I bet I was semi-close on the top 5.

Killer time by Ortiz, whoa.

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Meghan said...

Whew! I'm so happy to hear all of this, especially the part where you don't mention your feet falling apart or gobs of foot pain or anything like that.

Oh, I'm feeling like I have seriously missed out. It's the worst feeling, so I'm going to continue to live the race vicariously through you.

Congrats, JeffO!
Meghan

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Ha! Meghan, you're just glad I didn't post any hi-res photos of bloody missing toenails!
My feet aren't pretty, but I was no competition in the "Ugly Feet" contest. Anita Ortiz won, but there was controversy and arguing, so there were two winners. Anita had a split down the middle of one toe! By comparison, mine were pretty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home