LooseCrew-JeffO: Memorial Day Near Winfield


Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Near Winfield

There I was thinking the entire 3-day weekend was blown by illness. My son slept all through Saturday. Then my son decided at 2pm Sunday that he was well enough to go camping. So we loaded up and headed out. We ate poisonous fatty junk at Wild Bill's in Leadville, then headed towards Winfield.
About a quarter-mile from Winfield, the U.S.F.S. had a "Road Closed" barrier blocking the road. (They obviously forgot to have their people call my people and ask if that was okay.) So we backtracked and found another place to camp.
With the sun getting low, and my son commiting wilssrness-blasphemy by playing his iPod, I grabbed my shovel and saw and ran to Sheep Gulch and then halfway up towards Hope Pass. I did some shovelling and then ran back to camp. It wasn't much running, but it was altitude.

My son and I found a huge pit and fire ring, but we just made a little fire. Then we sat around the fire for hours making up a new TV series (listen up Hollywood!) I read a book years ago and thought it could be re-written for a TV show, so my son and I verbally made the entire first and second seasons.
A guy goes into the mountains and almost dies from a snake bite. As his body was fighting off the sanke venom, the world dies from a massive viral outbreak. Because his immune system was in hyperdrive, he survives the virus.
He comes back to a decimated city. He appears to be the only survivor. There are Nat'l Guard vehicles around, but even the guardsmen are dead.
Each episode of the first season is a new character. Slowly, but surely, a handful of survivors unite. All survivors have the same story. They each were fighting off a virus or other disease when the epidemic happened.
The second season develops the storyline better.

It was a great way to sit around the campfire. We had a blast and went to bed after 11pm.
The next morning, we hiked up Sheep Gulch again. My son got to see the horribly steep trail and exclaimed, "You had to do this after running 50 miles?"
I shoveled some more snow and sawed some trees laying across the trail.
We drove back to Denver during lunchtime, so we never had to deal with traffic jams from returning vacationers. It was a great, quick get-away.