LooseCrew-JeffO: Thankful Day

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Friday, November 23, 2007

Thankful Day

The Denver Trail Runners ran the Mesa Trail on Thanksgiving morning. Coming off of two blissful weeks of mild weather, it was a shock to run in 17-degree temps, but the scenery reminded us of why we do it. Are we crazy for running in frigid temps? Or are other people crazy for sitting on their butts at home missing all of this?
(Or am I sane for doing this but crazy-besides-the-point?) Hey, hush. Some of my best friends are crazy.

My good friend, John Wright

I'm thankful for living in this country that is beautiful regardless of the people and politics, but I'm also thankful because of the people and politics. You can complain if you wish, but we do have the power to vote, to protest, to fight, to speak, to run and play, to make sense or be ridiculous. There's no such thing as perfection, but in spite of that, we all have our various definitions of what "perfect" or "ideal" should be and it's a good thing to work in that direction, even realizing we'll never fully get there. Go ahead and complain about politicians, but be thankful we have citizens willing to fight for what they believe in and willing to make the ultimate sacrifice so that we'll continue to have the right to be ridiculous.
I'm thankful that I live in a country that states what no other does: that some rights are unalienable. That means our Constitution acknowledges that some rights are not bestowed by any government - that all humans are born with them. Our Constitution tries to spell these rights out and proclaim them to the world. (There are additional rights that we're not born with, that municipal, county, state, and federal laws may grant or deny, but those are seperate from our Constitution.)
I'm thankful I didn't die so many times that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong things, and sometimes with the wrong people.
I'm thankful I now know the right people and every day I try to be one of the "right people".
When I'm overwhelmed by choices in life, I'm thankful I have choices.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home