LooseCrew-JeffO: Wiens Beats Landis

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wiens Beats Landis

Wow, Floyd Landis got beat by one of Colorado's own stars, Dave Wiens.
I heard Lance Armstrong was going to be there, too, but I don't see him in the stats. Wiens' bib was #1, meaning he was the defending champ from last year. Landis, being new to the race, was given a high #1220 because he was a newcomer.
Curiously, the top 6 riders coming into the last aid-station DNF'd! WTF?! Are bikers so competitive that they'll quit completely just because the won't place? Were they possibly protesting Landis, for whatever reason? Was there a major accident? All I know is bikers are a different breed. Their psyches and attitudes are way different from most runners.
_____________________

All my tweaks and pains seem to be finally melting away. The cost, though, is that I haven't been getting in the walking I had planned. Only about a mile a day.
I'm not in the mood to deal with traffic on I-70 late on a Sunday, so it's easy to stay in town and sleep in.
There's lots of packing, planning, prep-work to do besides training. My living area is not a pretty sight. Gear and clothing are scattered everywhere. There's bags with markings, bags without, duct tape and Sharpie ready to slap a new label on another bag.
I soaked my socks and other white items (used to be white at one time) in a strong concentration of bleach and stain remover, with a dash of detergent. By all rights, it should have dissolved my socks! but did it get them any whiter? Not that I can tell. New socks should never come in white. They should come in various shades of beige, tan, brown, gray, etc.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

I cannot believe how close you are to go time! You sound so casual and stuff. What gives? ;)

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hey Meghan, I don't know. I've run so many races, and I've trained so hard. I'm burned out on so much work. I'll do fine. Guess I'm not too concerned. With all my races, I don't recall wondering if I'll finish - just when. I was very nervous right before the training camp, but now just want to light these rockets and get it going. I want to be on the trail. The start and finish aren't why I do it. I love the "doing" part. I'm so at-home when I'm on the trail. The wait is nearly done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home