LooseCrew-JeffO: Surprise Aid Station

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Surprise Aid Station

Tonight, Adam Feerst and I conspired to arrange a surprise aid station in the snowy dark on North Table Mountain.
I haven't been running with the Denver Trail Runners in several months. So no one was expecting to see me at all.
I used a whole can of Nestle Rich Chocolate Cocoa in a 2-gallon cooler. Right after work, it was mixed, then I drove out an hour ahead of the group's ETA for that location.
In a cooler-chest, I had cups, Keebler Pecan Sandies, and Peppermint Schnapps. In my backpack, I had extra winter clothing, in case the forecasted 18mph winds blew in, my backpacking stove, and the 2-gallon cooler full of cocoa. In my one free hand, I carried the back deck of my CR-V, which Honda smartly designed as a fold-out table.
I set up, called Adam to give him my exact location, and then strolled around listening to Pandora.com and looking at the night-time scenery. There's obviously LOTS of wildlife of every size scurrying around North Table Mtn.

They were easy to see long before they arrived. Most had headlamps. I kept mine off until the first people saw me. Several cups were set out with just Schnapps in the bottom, but then I started pooring hot cocoa into them and handing them out, warning people about the Schanpps, and pooring a few for those who don't do alcohol.
It was a hit, and very different than the normal DTR runs where we just head out, run, and come back.

Afterwards, we all headed to a member's house and had our annual Chrismukah holiday potluck party.

Wow, I didn't realize how much I missed them - nor how much some of them missed me. It was good to be back with my extended family. It was very warming to the soul. All around a very good evening.

Other note: NurtaJoint is now back down to $14. It was as low as $11 a couple of years ago, then it went all the way up to $38 - and I refused to buy it. It's supposed to be $14 at my Safeway store until next spring. So I'm stocking up on it.

And finally, here's a photo taken during the Rock Canyon Marathon...

1 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know...isn't it nice to be reunited with your old running gang?? I missed those ridiculous cyclists too :) You have 'em a good surprise!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home