LooseCrew-JeffO: More on the Rock Canyon Half

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, December 07, 2008

More on the Rock Canyon Half

I was so self-absorbed, when writing my Rock Canyon report. I didn't actually say much about the race!

This was my 23rd race this year as a direct entrant. There were a few others where I paced, or it was an off-the-grid event.

I highly recommend this race.
Things I like about the Rock Canyon Half:
1 - It's less than two hours drive from home.
2 - It's low-key. The people there clearly love to run.
3 - VERY stiff competition. There were some very impressively fast runners there. It brings out the best in yourself.
4 - In December, it's hard to find races. Sure I prefer ultras, but I've discovered that even 10K's are very important training runs for 100's. The only way to push your muscles to become more efficient is to do speed-training. So, because of (3) above, it's great to find a great training race that pushes me beyond my limits.
5 - The scenery was good, following the Arkansas River below the Pueblo Reservoir. Okay, it's not SJS50 or Hard Rock, but it's way better than more loops around Wash Park.
6 - It didn't cost much: $25 for early reg., $35 on race-day.
7 - The course is fast, with only one pitifully short climb.
8 - Good organization and volunteers.

The weather this year was ideal. I can imagine this race getting the brunt of the worse December weather can dish out. It would be very challenging - and therefore even MORE fun!

4 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

Hey now, I have found the scenery around Wash Park to be inspiring. Weren't you talking up the lady in red just a few months ago?

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

http://georgezack.blogspot.com/2008/12/mutant-blister.html

Somehow I doubt that blister was from fabric softener.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger JeffO said...

I've only seen the lady-in-red once in the past couple of months. It's like she quit running there.
The "Mutant Blister" is certainly good viewing - if you're someone who likes watching gross stuff. But man comments are so funny! "You could sell that in a supermarket, man." Ultra classic.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger mnodurft said...

love those low-key, small races. sorry to hear that you're sidelined. i've been really struggling for a few months now. think i pushed too hard my first year of consistent ultra distance training. oh well, lesson learned. what races you going for next year? i'm thinking miwok (if there are still any openings), cascade crest, sjs 50, and run rabbit run 50. if you have an interest in carpooling to any of those let me know. good luck with those pesky "injuries".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home