LooseCrew-JeffO: Thanksgiving!


Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, November 29, 2008


The McMillan Running Calculator says I'm supposed to be able to run 5 miles at a 7:09 pace. I assure you, there is NO WAY I can manage that at this time.
The odd thing is, I started out a few years ago poking along at 12 minute miles and managed to shave it down to 8 minute miles for any distance below 50K. And I do mean any distance, as in my 5M pace is 8min/M, and my 10K pace is 8min/M, etc. I'm flat-lined.
The good news is I'm getting faster every year at all distances.

It's currently cold and snowy outside. I finally got to use my new studded snow tires. The snow has certainly been sticking and freezing to the roads.

On Thanksgiving, I thought I'd be running with the Denver Trail Runners, but I decided to sleep-in. That allowed me an additional 2+ hours of sleep.
After lunch, I headed to South Table Mountain.
I don't know of any other place to park, except at the National Renewable Energy Labs parking area during off-hours. Certainly during off-hours, the lot is empty and I'm not hurting anyone. But the lot was roped and a sign warned that specifically "runners" are not allowed to park there. Wow! (My expletive was different.) So I slowly drove away, keeping my eyes peeled for a kosher place to park. I noticed two cars parked by the curb on the other side. The road was two lanes each direction, but it dead-ends at the NREL, and there's no need for four lanes, so even though the cars were blocking one lane, it wasn't a big deal at a virtual dead-end. But a NREL security guard was writing them tickets! There were no signs giving anyone a clue about property lines. Anyone would think the street and land would belong either to Open Space Parks, or to a city or county. NREL was an 1/8th mile away.
I gave up and drove out of Denver to Buffalo Overlook. I parked in an elementary school parking lot (probably also illegal, but hurts no one on Thanksgiving day).
The weather was colder than I had planned for my run on South Table, so I ended up wearing all my extra stuff, but it was enough.
I had my smaller Salomon Raid Revo 15 hydration pack. There were only two couples the entire 9-mile run. I got to see a small section of trail I had never been on before, and it was stunning! It was old-growth, mossy, and the trees were magnificent! There was a bit of snow-flurry, but nothing bad.
I didn't bring my camera since I had anticipated running on plain-ole South Table.

I had to work the day after Thanksgiving, but I still got a run in after work. During the time it took for me to hydrate and change clothes, a snow storm moved in. So I got my first true winter run of the season! There were only two other runners at Wash Park, and they wore coats and heavy gloves! I just wore a long sleeve shirt and a sleeveless shirt over that.
On the way there, a woman in a Subaru honked her horn at me. I think that translates into, "You crazy running idiot!! Are you insane?!"


At 8:40 PM, Blogger mnodurft said...

i love it when folks honk at me during a snowy run. it reminds me that i love something that not many others have the motivation to try, and the trails/paths are clear of heavy foot-traffic because of it. by the way, i thought that you were going to take a break.

At 10:42 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Ha! I took a 3-day break. Been slacking since then.
I really should take a longer complete break, but I can't seem to keep myself indoors. In fact, I might run faster if I took a longer break.
Oh well.

At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had that happen to me once, and when I looked at them they were giving me a double thumbs-up. I think the sight of a chunky guy running in -10 degree weather with a hydration pack on was just too much for them to pass up. LOL


At 2:13 PM, Blogger olga said...

I missed it - did you eat turkey? :)

At 3:03 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Olga - My turkey wasn't much to write about.


Post a Comment

<< Home