LooseCrew-JeffO: More Scouting for my 100K

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, October 25, 2008

More Scouting for my 100K

I'm not really sure I'll ever have the patience to actually put this race on. It's so high and exposed. How does the Hard Rock RD, Dale Garland, endure the stress? The safety of the runners has got to weigh heavy on him.
I was going to drive through Montezuma and head south, but the gate to the north road was open. Since I wasn't used to that, I took advantage of it. I had no plans for the north, so I just made it up as I went.
It was a real late start - too many chores at home. I left my CR-V at 4:20pm and started up the trail/road to Argentine Pass. Instead of staying on the trail, I left it at the first and only switchback. I continued climbing up the valley on very slippery snow. The rocks under the snow were treacherous. The wind was gusting, but I guess I'm used to that, and it helped. The wind actually helped to blow me uphill. It was extremely slow going, with safety my primary concern.
It was all worth it! The views were stunning, and I got the best view yet of the areas I hope to have my course go through.
The sunset from so high up was fantastic. Heck, I'll let you decide!

Sure beats Kansas!!

1 Comments:

At 4:40 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Ohmygod these pictures are fabulous! Thanks for sharing, JeffO!

Happy Halloween!
Meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home