LooseCrew-JeffO: Equinox Leftovers

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Equinox Leftovers

Reid Delman told me after the race that the course was actually 6.6M. That feels about right.
However, they have me down as having completed 8 laps @ 48 miles.
Not to mention there was a 6M and 12M race on the same course - not a 6.6M and half-marathon.
So I wonder... what did I do? 52.8M or 48M? 'Cause 10% is a pretty significant difference.















The Nordic Center near Frisco

The night before and after, I camped near a squatters village. This campground was probably illegal because there's rules about spending consecutive nights in one spot in open federal lands, but that's the way it's done. You have these expensive ski resorts that need waiters and waitresses, and some others, who can't afford to rent or own a home in the area. So they squat.
I parked less than a quarter mile away, but could hear much of what was going on. There was a big campfire, some guy with a gun, and drunken revelry. When it calmed down, I heard this eerie sound. It was like dogs barking and coyotes howling. I wondered what had all the canine so riled? But the sound was ceaseless.
The night after the race, I returned. I heard the same sound again. Okay, this time I wasn't buying that it was dogs and coyotes. It was like a looped recording played loud. Some wiseguy made a recording and played it constantly throughout each night to ward off bears. Not a bad idea.

I was more tired after this event. I'm not sure why. Maybe I do have a chest-cold? If so, then it must be a virus my body already fought off in the past and all it had to do was kick the antibody production into high-gear. I definitely wasn't having the best day. I ran the MountainAir marathon the week before, but I hadn't tried at all. I treated the marathon like a roving cocktail party where I socialized (mingled) along the way. So I wasn't over-trained at Frisco. So at the least, my - what - rhythms/bio-rhythms, or whatever, just weren't right for the day. Or maybe I did have a cold?
But today, Wednesday, I still feel run-down. I don't feel sick and I don't feel tired from running. I don't know what it is. I'm taking the day off. Maybe my body needs it? Or maybe it's not my body? Maybe I lost my mind and need to find it? Yeah, I think that's it.

I've been so busy, and my company blocks Blogger.com, and my iPhone is such a pathetic piece or electronic garbage that it locks up frequently. More often than not, I can't even get the blogger comment pages to load, so I can't comment on mine or anyone else's blog without several retries. And I'm seldom ever home, and I haven't been going to coffee shops or the WiFi bar very much, so my blogging is has dropped off significantly.

There's almost no time to drive out west Thursday evenings for trail running. Just overwhelmed with too much "busy". Maybe that's why I'm tired? I've been racing, traveling, packing, unpacking like crazy nearly every weekend for months. When I don't have a weekend race, I feel lost, empty, and bored. But inbetween races I'm out-of-control and need to get my keel back under me.

But not this weekend! Vasque Golden Leaf half-marathon from Snowmass to Aspen, with gourmet food at the finishline! I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!

1 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Michael Quispe said...

No Jeff, it's not a virus or anything. You're just pregnant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home