LooseCrew-JeffO: Decent Mileage Weekend

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Decent Mileage Weekend

Instead of one long run (20 miles+) and one short run (less than 10), I opted for two medium runs (10-20 miles each).

The weather both days this weekend was unseasonably warm. Saturday I ran at Waterton Canyon, and then up the Colorado Trail. The trail was snow all the way and very difficult footing. I thought I might go beyond 20 miles but the narly footing put an end to those aspirations.
I had the heebie-jeebies about mountain lions, being solo. I went most of the way on the trail carrying a small branch from a tree. It wasn't heavy, but cats aren't geniuses. Maybe it would confuse it just enough, and it made me look bigger.
Only one set of fresh tracks ventured ahead of me from earlier in the day. I ran across some two-day old deer tracks from a couple of young does. Not much else stirred.
I started at 2:40pm and it started to turn dark before I got off the Colorado Trail. I put one headlamp around my hips and the other around my chest.
My car was parked in a dark lot and I'm not sure that was okay. I looked for and didn't find any signs saying not to park after a certain time, or even over night, but there was a big gate. I was expecting a ticket on my windshield from an unsympathetic ranger, but I lucked-out.
17 miles.

Sunday, I stuck to my 'hood and ran Washington Park. I ran into a friend, Mark W, and did a lap with him. Then two more laps solo.
The trail around the park is crap - mud, ice, puddles. The next time it snows, I need to head to the park with a good shovel and do some community work. A little work in select spots would save several weeks of people running on the grass and widening the trail. Wish someone with a riding mower would drive once around with a blade on the front when it snows.
11.8 miles
Nearly 29 miles for the weekend.

3 Comments:

At 7:20 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Ah-ha! I understand the fear of large kitty cats in winter time...just sing Las Vegas show tunes out loud at all times and you'll be fine. I works for G-bears and B-bears, too!!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Heh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who runs a little frightened sometimes. Even the big guys do, too, huh?

Nice mileage weekend, there JeffO!

Meghan

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Olga said...

Good weekend, sounds like. Smart idea, though I'd simply forget to carry anything. When I do Gorge runs (our local "wild" territory that has cats in, even if not many), I swear every time to bring a wistle - and never do. I think I plug the music loud only for the reason to if I am to die, I'll never know about it:) OK, now I am petrified...I'll die as soon as I see one close from a heart attack!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home