LooseCrew-JeffO: Meese

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Monday, December 17, 2007

Meese

Moose or Meese

If you have one moose
And add another,
Then you have meese.
"Not so," said Mother.

Well, if you have one goose,
And add another,
Then you have geese.
"That's so," said Mother.

But if you have one deer
And add another,
You still have deer.
"That's so," said Mother.

So I guess
If you have one moose
And add another,
Then you still have moose.
"That's so," said Mother.

(author unknown)
______________________________

There's only one thing goofier-looking than a moose. (God was so embarrassed, it was hidden between man's legs.)
______________________________

Colorado's black bear population is now deep in hibernation. I've never seen a black bear in this state, but I got growled at last July. Black bear is just about the only thing I haven't seen.

I've seen an ibex. Yes I know they're African and Eurasian - I still insist it was an ibex. Their horns are very distinctive. Some millionaire ranches stock exotic game for some rather unethical hunting practices. This ibex must've escaped.

Years ago, in the middle of a week-long hiking trip, my car was parked in a quiet forest and I was reading a book. For days, I was used to mountain goats, marmots, pikas, chipmunks, and snakes walking/crawling right up to me. The day before, a Camp Robber decided it wanted the last bite of my trailbar, so as I was putting it in my mouth, I had a face-full of bird as it's claws raked my chin. Ha, ha! I won! So back to me sitting in my car... The door was wide open and it was very calm and quiet. I saw movement out of the side of my eye. Something was right next to me. But so much wildlife had been getting cozy with me all week, I waited until I finished the paragraph before looking over. The only thing I moved was my head. A Pine Marten was standing on its hind legs with its front paws on the door sill. It was only a few inches away from my thigh and elbow. I had never heard of such a creature and there we were staring eyeball-to-eyeball. It was about the most beautiful critter I've ever seen, and it's an extremely shy carnivore. I was very lucky to have been that close to such a wild animal and to have had so many seconds to stare at each other. It was very cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home