LooseCrew-JeffO: Lincoln Lake Trail

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Lincoln Lake Trail

Thursday night, I ran 10k up and down Lookout Mountain. It was hard work with drifted snow on the trail at the upper end. I tripped on buried rocks and tree stumps a couple of times.

Friday, with a vacation day, I went snowshoeing with an ultra-running acquaintance. She had done this trail solo on Sunday, so it was a known, safe outing. Todd couldn't make it.
I'm not sure what the temp was when we started. All I can say is that it got colder, not warmer, as the sun climbed higher. At least we had clear skies, for a change, but the winds were pretty high. The trail we were on was mostly on the down-wind, protected side of Mount Evans, just below treeline.
I wore my Montrail Gore-tex shoes, but somehow my feet got SOAKED! Multiple layers of poly' sox saved me, but my feet got colder, not warmer.
Carol is fast and has stamina I could only dream of. I'm sure she was holding back for me but I don't know how much. Either way, it was a good workout for each of us. We each wore our racing snowshoes and traded off on breaking trail.
It took us about 3.5hrs to do the out-n-back (5-6 miles).
By the time we got back, Carol's fingers and my toes were numb. Carol's thermometer said it was 2 degrees.

Next weekend, I might do the 20 mile Turquoise Lake snowshoe race. It would be my first snowshoe race. I've used my race snowshoes exactly three times. I had planned to start with a 5k just to see if I would like snowshoe racing, and then build to longer distances, but Fridays outing counts for an adequate shake-down trial. Cheap registration and late 10:30 start time is very attractive.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

I have perused the Turquoise Lake snowshoe race website before and it looks amazing. I hope you decide to do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home