LooseCrew-JeffO: More Obesity Studies

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

More Obesity Studies

A new study says that it's not just America that has a chronic obesity problem.
Roughly 1/8th of all adults in developed countries have Type II diabetes.
Two-thirds are overweight.
One-tenth are obese.

There are too many spectators and too few players.
I somewhat bristle when some drunken, overweight guy tells me I'm a "traitor" because I'm not fanatical about one of the local sport teams. Now that the Rockies are in the World Series, I actually know the head coach's name. There's a couple of players I can't quite remember, but if I see them I'll remember.
The way I look at it, no one roots for me when I go to work each day to earn my paycheck. Nothing wrong with rooting for sports players or teams, but the way I see it, why watch other people have fun when you can have fun yourself?

If more people would have fun themselves, obesity wouldn't be such a problem.

If people would stop eating greasy, salty junk, poisoning themselves constantly while depriving themselves of vitamins, then their bodies could cope.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

I'm reading this book for grad school called "Last Child in the Woods" which chronicles the movement of children from outdoor play in past generations to our current generation of sedentary video game players.

Ironically, the book states that the increase in child obesity is roughly equitable to the increase in child involvement in organized sports. The theory is that involvement in organized sports still doesn't overcome our culture's changes in diet and overall sedentary lifestyle.

It made me sad. Thanks for sharing this stuff. Also depressing, but there's no sense in pretending it isn't happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home