LooseCrew-JeffO: Bullshit Factor

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Bullshit Factor

Most people are full of shit, to some degree. It's part of being human. It's not necessarily even a bad thing, as long as it's limited. It can even add to the entertaining and enjoyable quality of a personality - as long as your bullshit isn't out of control.
Bullshit is even a commodity. It can drive an industry. Marketing is nearly all bullshit. Chutspa, shpeal, hype, etc. Sell yourself: get the job, get new friends, get laid, ...
The fear is that we can get blinded by our own bullshit. Then we never realize we're out of control and about to crash-and-burn.

My season was a success. I ran 9 official races between 22.5 and 31 miles, plus 3 unofficial marathons, plus 3 half-marathons, and some little 6-10 mile races. [edited] The whole time, my speed and endurance both increased. I shrug my shoulders at 31 miles. The only concern is how fast I can run, not whether or not I can finish. But my season ended with a broken foot.
Seems my entire life is like that. I "go for it".

How strong is a stick? Gradually apply force until it breaks. Now you know.
If the stick doesn't break, you'll never know exactly how much force it can take. But if you apply sudden force, it will break under less force. The trick is to apply force so carefully that you can hear it start to crack. It is wise to be satisfied with knowing that you're very close to the breaking point, and not get greedy about knowing exactly how strong the stick is. This way the stick isn't destroyed.

Life, goals, relationships can be that way.

4 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jeff,

I found my way to your blog somehow, and I'm hella amused. So I thought I'd say hello. So, hello.

Sounds like you're experiencing some intense internal dialog-ing at present.

Take care of that foot!

Meghan
www.running-blogs.com/meghan/

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hello, Meghan!
Yep, I tend to be "too deep" - hopefully not too deep in my own bullshit!
You have a great blog. Worth checking out.
Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

... you can always experiment with other sticks, learn about their qualities and breaking point and ever-so-gradually try to avoid breaking your own...

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Good point, Corrado.
I seem to be the only one breaking here, lately!
Maybe others can learn from me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home