LooseCrew-JeffO: Red Rocks Slush "Run"

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Red Rocks Slush "Run"

Okay, so there wasn't much running, but it was a very good workout in some of the densest snow I've ever traveled in. There was often puddles hidden under the snow, too.

I sorely wish I'd remembered my camera. I know - I have a habit of forgetting. Guilty again. The best shots, in the densest snow were missed. Afterward, I went back with my iPhone and did my best, but the snow had turned to rain, and the snow in the trees was already significantly melted. I tell ya, there's a big difference an hour made!

I was a little late, but it didn't matter since Pete's 2-wheel-drive car couldn't handle the first parking lot. I met him driving out and followed him to a different lot, almost as bad.

We ran to the trailhead and then promptly switched to plow-hiking through 12-15" snow on the steep road up the hogback. On top, the snow was so heavy in the trees, several trees were split down the middle and limbs were broken off. At one point, there were several lumps that were actually 6-7' tall trees bowed down by hundreds of pounds of snow.
Want a drink? Just grab a little slush off a branch!
Ours were the only footprints.


This made 7 days in a row of running without injury. I'm running out of time to get training before the race season onslaught. Just about every weekend from now until the end of July.

2 Comments:

At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Audrey said...

ooooh, i'm glad you're feeling good. i personally am a big fan of underpreparing. keeps you fresh and injury free! try not to sweat any lack of miles if you can :)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Justin Mock said...

http://www.zanegrey.info/Highline_Trail_50/Results.html

Nice work. 34th in 12:41. Any race report, pics?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home