LooseCrew-JeffO: Mt. Evans & EPM double weekend


Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Monday, June 18, 2007

Mt. Evans & EPM double weekend

No disasters this weekend. Couldn't even feel my blister.

I carpooled to the Mt. Evans Ascent with a guy I must've met at some point, but we didn't recognize each other. Justin was a really nice guy and we each had to leave early for different reasons, so it worked out great.
It was LOTS of fun!

I didn't want to blow my engines on Mt. Evans when I had a marathon the next morning, so I just pushed comfortably and enjoyed the scenery. Nearly all the race is above treeline, so snow-capped peaks were nearly always visible.
Last year, I volunteered at this race, so I knew what I was in for. No surprises, and it was a fantastic race.

Mt. Evans 2007 results
Finished 79th out of 262 finishers. So I finished at the 30% mark. Not impressive!
I finished 11th out of 23 in my division, so I'm a really mediocre runner for 45-49 year-old males!
Thought I'd done better. Oh well. Very fun day with no glitches at all.


Sunday, in Estes Park, I was so very unprepared that I didn't even know if the marathon was a trail race or paved, and I didn't even know what time it started.

I saw Anita F and Gayle Z. Found out the race was paved and started at 7am.

My GPS battery died right after the race started, but I guess that didn't matter. GPS info doesn't mean much when you don't know the lay of the course.

On the ride down from Mt. Evans, a guy told me the EPM was very hot and may not have any water at some of the aid stations, so I took my Camelbak.
It was record-breaking heat. At nearly every aid station, I took a slice of banana and threw 2-3 cups of water on myself. Yeehah!
I took three vanilla Accel gels and ate them all, plus 3-4 electrolyte tabs.

Anita shoved something into my hand before the race. Hammer Energy Surge is ATP, which is the final product your muscles use. I stuck that under my tongue during the final very long climb north of Estes. I don't know if it works, but it didn't hurt.

I never saw Anita during the race until I got a glance at someone entering the high school stadium track as I sprinted for the finish. Anita finished one place behind me.
The last five miles, we were blowing by bonked and sun-beaten people. It was tough.
I wasn't trying that hard, though. After last Saturday's 76 miles, and the blister, and my right foot feeling like it wants to disintegrate, and the Mt. Evans Ascent, I just wanted to chill out and survive in one piece.
About mile 24, I saw a gray-haired volunteer walking along the path. I put my hand on his back as said, "Come on! You can do it! We're almost there!" He just started laughing. He was used to seeing dog-tired, demoralized zombies. I was a refreshing difference.
I loved those final miles. From about mile 21 to the finish, I felt like freakin' Superman. I was grinning and loving life.

After leaving Estes, I stopped in Lyons to stand in the cold river. Then I went to my brother's place east of Boulder. He was renting a house but bought the house across the street. So I helped him move.
Today, I don't even feel like I ran much. Thought I'd be crippled, but I'm not feeling any discomfort at all.
I still plan to take it easy for a little while. My left knee and right foot did feel like they would crumble during the marathon.


At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Meghan said...


It sounds like you had an awesome weekend. I didn't even know you were going to be doing all this stuff. It's great news that you feel great after a big weekend! The Mt. Evans Ascent sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could run it!

By the way, in no way shape or form am I ever going to pee out one leg of my shorts, no matter how many crazy runner people do it! Sorry. That's just so not me!



Post a Comment

<< Home