LooseCrew-JeffO: Last Hard Run During Taper

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Last Hard Run During Taper

This year, every time I went running, my throat and sinuses would start to run and fill with mucus, phlegm, etc. A full-on internal assault. I took Sudafed and it worked real well. It's expensive so I looked at the Safeway equivalent and it claimed to have the same amount of the same ingredient. I've never had a problem with generics so I bought two large boxes. The stuff was inert! Even if I took two, there was no help. The problem with my airways has gotten so extremely clogged with fluid running from the membranes of my entire nasal and throat airways that it was hard to get a decent training run and would severely limit my ability to race this year. My sinuses ran so profusely that blowing my nose was good for about 15 to 30 seconds. It was frustrating.
I'm not having trouble with my sinuses when not running. They perfectly normal! As soon as I start to run, though, I'm drowning, coughing, gagging. It's weird.
Finally, I broke down and bought real Sudafed. It works. If I want to breath, I'll have to spend a small fortune on Sudafed regularly - like I already do for NutraJoint.

Had another good run Tuesday evening. Started slow and gradually built speed until I started getting an asthma attack. So I walked it out. It suddenly went away so I went into a full sprint for about 100 yards to finish.

The knee is hanging in there. Some tightness in the left calf. Not good. Been massaging it and stretching but only temporarily helps.

Walking scheduled for the next couple of days. Then I leave for Salida.

2 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Olga said...

Good luck tomorrow, have fun!

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Good luck in Salida, JeffO! Is it snowing there, too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home