LooseCrew-JeffO: Taking a Break

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Taking a Break

Okay, I've got so many photos and videos my blog might be locking up your browser. So... A good time to catch up and divert.

I was able to log some decent mileage this week, although it wasn't easy. Last year, because of my stress fracture, I had only logged 77 miles by the end of February. As of today, I have 350 miles. I feel good. The knees aren't perfect, but they've been very reliable if I'm fathful to my stretching.

One month to the Moab 100. I don't intend to race this, but instead to treat the whole thing like a 100-miler clinic. I need experience at those last miles. Last Spring, my 24hr-or-100M walk ended up blistering my feet, then my DNF at Leadville, then my knees gave out at Boulder. Every failure was prudent rather than destroy myself and not be able to train and race, but how can I get experience in the latter miles if I keep quiting? So I plan to cool the competitiveness and just get it done so that I'll have some notes on actual 100-mile events, not 84.1 or 73 or 64.
________________________________


I found these quotes and thought they were very good so I'm sharing them...

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Suess

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou

"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option” - unknown

Got these from here.

I'm such a klutz, socially. It bothers me but not nearly as much as it used to. I guess I collect others who are not so socially adept. (Sort of like "misery loves company".) If our value as people were determined by how slick we are socially, I guess I would try harder in that area and surround myself with social winners. But since all that matters is what's in our hearts, I'd rather associate with great, nice people, regardless of how slick they are. So very often, the greatest people are outgoing, in spite of being clumsy - and nobody minds because it's such a privilege to know them.
I'm so glad I have the friends I have today - not that they're all clumsy. Some are rather slick - or just slick in certain ways - but all have big hearts and they all make me rich in what counts in life.

3 Comments:

At 10:15 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

I like the Maya quote a lot. It's so very true. Thanks for sharing and I'm going to write it in my little black book (No, not that kind of little black book.) of notes and quotes and important things.

I can't believe you're running a 100 in a month. That's pretty crazy and coming up soon. You've logged good mileage this year (You have me beat by over 30 miles!) and it seems like you're reporting that your body is doing well. These are all good signs for a month from now!

Are you really socially un-slick as you say you are? I find it hard to believe!

Happy Sunday!
Meghan

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger JeffO said...

Hi Meghan,
I know you run more than me. You had taper berfore and recovery after RR100. When I'm done recovering from Moab100, you'll see you run more.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Olga said...

Love the quotes. Will need to dance around them at some future posts:) Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home