LooseCrew-JeffO: I am Challenged Individual

LooseCrew-JeffO

Ramblings of an adventurous guy living in Denver and playing in the mountains.
For my trail adventures, visit my Trail Bum blog

Friday, March 07, 2008

I am Challenged Individual

The other day I was running along the sidewalk through a neighborhood and out of the corner of my eye I saw a small explosion of feathers. I looked over and saw a perigrine falcon struggling to fly with a full-grown pigeon in it's talons. The kill was about 8 feet away and it landed in a tree 10 feet from me. With such a load, it wasn't going to fly anywhere, so we stood there staring at each other for several seconds.
That was so cool! Who wooda thunk I'd see such a thing in the city?

I've been trying to load up on miles leading into the Salida Marathon a week from now and the Moab 100 three weeks from now. My body has been reliable but I've been increasingly wary. No breaks and lots of mileage, and I was slowing dowwnnnnnnnnn. No speed available, even though my body has felt energetic.
Wednesday night, my left knee woke me up throbbing. I probed it to find out where the epicenter was, but found nothing. But the probing made it stop. Obviously the lack of motion caused a lack of circulation, which caused the pain. The probing massaged it and the pain went away.
This is a sure sign of over-training. So Thursday night, I walked and trotted intermittently for just over 9 miles. That helped. Thursday night I slept okay.
This evening, I walked 5+ miles. I also stood STILL and watched the sunset turn the clouds orange and red. Elizabeth happened to come along for several minutes and share it. That was nice since I haven't seen her in awhile.
Walking is good for circulation, so I may be walking my way all the way up to the Salida Marathon.
I hadn't planned on tapering until Tuesday or Wednesday, but if I don't chill out now, I'll certainly be injured. I've logged over 400 miles, but it won't do me any good if I destroy myself.

The Beth's and Meghan's "no complaining for 21 days challenge" is so easy, but not for me. Every day I fail. I'm not going to let it stop me from trying for 21 days straight. Even if I fail for 21 days straight, I'll keep trying each day. I'm an ultra-runner, so it's not like I'll be quiting. And maybe 21 days won't stop. It seems that even if I fail for 21 days straight, surely by then I will start to habitually think about better ways to think and speak.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Oh man, I read the title of your post and I was like, kindred spirit? I'm currently a challenged individual, too (See the story I just posted.).

I cannot believe you saw a peregrine falcon that close! So cool! Back when they were still on the Endangered Species List, I had a summer job at Big Bend of monitoring peregrine falcons. I'd clamber around, way off trail, way up high on ledges and scree slopes, to get just scant peeks of peregrines and their eyries. Never saw one close at all. Lucky you!

Sorry your body's starting to ache. Sounds like you're doing the right thing to take care of it. Jump on it before you do any lasting damage. Or so I think you told me when I effed my knee a few weeks back. Lots of heat and massage to promote healing, 'kay?

Happy weekend!
Meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home